Invisalign vs Traditional Braces – Important Differences
If you want to have straighter or neater teeth, or if you have a child who would benefit from straighter teeth, you may wonder if you should choose traditional braces or Invisalign.
The question is sensible, as there is often confusion about the differences between Invisalign and traditional braces.
This True Dental Care Preston guide will help you to understand when each of these treatments is most appropriate for your teeth and help you to understand the pros on cons of each treatment.
How they work
Both traditional braces and Invisalign are forms of orthodontic treatment (more information here), but they differ in significant ways.
Traditional dental braces correct teeth affected by protrusions, crowding, alignment issues, crookedness, and/or irregular spacing.
Braces are comprised of brackets and archwires across the teeth, secured by elastic ties.
Brackets are fixed to the teeth with dental cement.
The placement of braces usually takes between one and two hours. Regular appointments are required to replace the elastic bands, with adjustment appointments for adjustment every three to 10 weeks.
Patients typically encounter tightness and discomfort after adjustments.
The length of treatment is different from case to case. Some cases call for less than six to eight months, and some require two or more years.
Invisalign is an increasingly popular brand of clear aligner.
Conditions that can be treated using Invisalign include widely spaced teeth, too-crowded teeth, overbite, crossbite, mild relapse (after traditional braces treatment), and some simple bite irregularities.
During your consultation at True Dental Care Preston, impressions and photos of your teeth are taken and sent to a dental lab where CAD/CAM technology is used to manufacture aligners.
You normally receive one or two sets of aligners (top and bottom) during checkups that are spaced between four and six weeks apart. Treatment duration varies though in most cases 20 to 30 sets of aligners are used over the course of a year or less.
The differences between traditional braces and Invisalign
So, with those differences in mind, here are some reasons to consider each option.
Reasons to prefer Invisalign
- Compared to the “train tracks” of traditional braces, Invisalign braces are extremely discrete and unlikely to be spotted by others unless you tell them you are wearing Invisalign. For most patients this means fewer problems with self-esteem and reduced social anxiety while being treated. Wearers are free to talk and smile without the concern that others are focusing on your orthodontic appliance.
- Invisalign aligners are constructed of soft plastic and are consequently more comfortable than traditional braces with their wire and brackets. The sharp and hard surfaces of traditional braces can cause cuts and abrasions in the mouth and even make eating painful, particularly directly after they are adjusted.
- Invisalign software allows you to see the expected treatment outcomes. For some patients the ability to see improvement ahead of time increases the motivation to receive orthodontic treatment.
- Invisalign aligners can come out of the mouth. This is extremely convenient for oral hygiene, aligner cleaning, sports (you can take them out and use a mouthguard), playing musical instruments such as the trumpet, and eating hard or sticky foods.
Reasons to prefer traditional braces
- Choosing traditional metal braces is a very cost-effective method of straightening teeth or correcting a bite problem.
- Traditional braces give better results for patients who need to straighten extremely crooked teeth, or for patients with teeth that have noticeably different heights.
- Most dentists believe that traditional braces are better at treating overcrowded teeth.
- Traditional braces may correct orthodontic issues faster than removable devices because metal braces cannot be removed by a child (or adult!).
- Adhesive used to keep Invisalign aligners in place can become stained and noticeable over the course of treatment.
Let True Dental help you decide!
When deciding between traditional braces and Invisalign it’s important to work with an experienced and caring dentist like True Dental Care Preston! We help you choose the best solution to optimise your smile. If you’re in the Preston area and need help deciding between braces or Invisalign, get in touch with us today to schedule a consultation.
True Dental Care Preston for your Dental Health
The foundation of True Dental Care Preston is a passion for healthy, beautiful, and straight smiles. Our team is comprised of Australian trained dentists, nurses, and a prosthetist.
We are near the corner of Donovan St and Bell St, a convenient 25 meters from the Bell Train Station! Our convenient offices are on the ground floor.
True Dental Care Preston offers an extensive range of treatment options from pain management to implants and Invisalign.
Book your orthodontics consultation today!