It is therefore very unfortunate if your smile reveals an unhealthy glint instead of a bright glow. Would you want to smile then?
Not to worry, True Dental Care Preston can help. For dazzling pearly whites, enjoy teeth whitening at True Dental Care Preston.
There’s no need to hide your smile. Smile confidently with the help of your trusted dentist.
What Causes Teeth Discolouration?
Just as everyone is born with a different hair colour, tooth shade also varies. The colour of your teeth depends on your genetic makeup.
But leaving heredity aside, your teeth can suffer from tooth discolouration due to a number of other reasons. Ageing is one cause, and stains fall into two categories – intrinsic and extrinsic.
Extrinsic factors are brought about by the food you eat and your oral hygiene habits. The following are some of the foods which can easily stain the teeth:
- Citrus/acidic food
- Soy sauce
Stains left by consumption of these foods can be easily removed with timely and proper brushing. Failure to do so plus poor oral hygiene allows the stain to harden.
Intrinsic factors, on the other hand are brought about by the darkening of the inner structure of the tooth, called the dentin. This darkening can be caused by:
- Drugs – Taking of antibiotics during the second trimester of pregnancy or when you were 8 years old or younger.
- Fluoride – Too much fluoride can cause dental fluorosis, the appearance of white spots or lines on the teeth. This only affects children whose permanent teeth are still forming.
- Tooth Trauma – Accidents can cause internal bleeding of the tooth hence discolouring it.
- Dentinogenesis Imperfecta – A rare condition that causes teeth to be grayish, amber, or even purple.
Teeth Whitening Preparation
The teeth whitening procedure begins with a dental check-up. There are some who are restricted from having the procedure, such as pregnant women.
After establishing if you are an ideal candidate, cavities are treated and your teeth are cleaned for the bleaching gel to fully penetrate.
The bleaching gel is applied on your teeth and left for a few minutes before being rinsed off.
For take home whitening, your dentist will create personalised trays which you have to wear for 1 hour in the morning and 1 hour at night. In just a week, your teeth’s shade will improve by 4-5 shades.
Benefits of Teeth Whitening
Teeth whitening is proven effective to provide many benefits including:
- Whiter teeth, better looking smile
- Removal of plaque buildup and persistent stains
- Boosts your confidence
Dazzling Pearly Whites At True Dental Care Preston
Start your path towards brighter and dazzling pearly whites at True Dental Care Preston. Avail of our teeth whitening options to achieve the smile of your dreams.
Call (03) 9131 5952 or visit us at 358 Bell St in Preston.